Integrated cascades of PROcesses for the extraction and valorisation of proteins and bioactive molecules from Legumes, Fungi and Coffee agro-industrial side streams
Agro-industrial residual biomass, side streams and food production by-products such as legumes (seeds of peas, beans and chickpeas), fungi (cuttings and mycelia of different species) and coffee (silver skin and non-compliant roasted seeds) are likely to constitute rich sources of valuable ingredients. Their potential is yet to be fully realised. The Prolific project will apply a range of processing technologies to agro-industrial residues of legumes, fungi and coffee in order to recover significant amounts of proteins/peptides, fibres and other value-added compounds.
Once extracted by economically and environmentally sustainable protocols, the outputs will undergo enzymatic modification and conditioning techniques in an upscaled, industrially-relevant environment. Ultimately, this will provide viable amounts of the compounds and fractions necessary to produce 16 prototypes for the food, feed, packaging and cosmetic sectors. The Prolific project’s R&D&I activities and partners are streamlined around a core innovation cycle, principally driven by industrial end-users that know precisely what their customers need and what are the technical and industrial demands of their sector.
ACTIVITIES by Bio Base Europe Pilot Plant:
- Industrial scale-up of the most promising processes including pretreatment, biochemical modification and formulation.
- Supply sufficient product to do final product prototyping for different sectors (food, cosmetics, packaging and feed).
- Fachhochschule Nordwestschweiz, Switzerland
- University of Bologna, Italy
- Innovacio i Recerca Industrial i Sostenible SL, Spain
- Università degli Studi di Parma, Italy
- Stazione Sperimentale per l’industria delle Conserve Alimentari (SSICA), Italy
- Celabor SCRL, Belgium
- IGV Institut für Getreideverarbeitung GMBH, Germany
- Stolzenberger Reiner Erich, Germany
- Bio Base Europe Pilot Plant, Belgium
- Conserves France, France
- RTD Talos Limited, Cyprus
- Cosmetic, Greece
- Illycaffe S.p.A., Italy
- Nutrition Sciences NV, Belgium
- Pleurette, France
- Femto Engineering S.r.l., Italy
- Innovacoop S.r.l., Italy
This project is funded by the Bio-Based Industries Joint Undertaking under the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No. 790157.