NanoBioEngineering of BioInspired BioPolymers
Scope of the project
The Nano3Bio project aims to develop biotechnological production systems for nanoformulated chitosans.
Chitosans, chitin-derived polysaccharides, vary in:
- degree of polymerisation (DP)
- degree of acetylation (DA)
- patterns of acetylation (PA)
Chitosans are among the most versatile and most promising biopolymers and have excellent physico-chemical and material properties as well as a wide range of biological functionalities.
Their economic potential is far from being exploited due to:
- Problems with reproducibility of biological activities as today’s chitosans are rather poorly defined mixtures
- The threat of allergen contamination from their typical animal origin.
The Nano3Bio project will overcome the hurdles towards market entry and market penetration by producing in vitro and in vivo defined polymers with controlled, tailor-made DP, DA and PA.
- Anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-tumor activity
- Wound-healing properties
- Immuno-enhancing effect on animal health
- Induce various plant defense-related cellular responses
- Anti-microbial properties against a wide spectrum of phytopathogens
- Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster, DE
- Universiteit Gent, BE
- Institut Quimic de Sarria, Barcelona, ES
- Kungliga Tekniska Hoegskolan, Stockholm, SE
- Centre National de Recherche Scientifique, Paris, FR
- Danmarks Tekniske Universitet, Kgs. Lyngby, DK
- Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg, DE
- University of Hyderabad, IN
- Gillet Chitosan EURL, Nancy, FR
- Cosphatec GmbH, Hamburg, DE
- Bio Base Europe Pilot Plant, Ghent, BE
- Greenaltech SL, Barcelona, ES
- Greendelta GmbH, Berlin, DE
- 2.-O LCA Consultants APS, Aalborg, DK
- ARTES Biotechnology GmbH, Langenfeld, DE
- Lyon Ingenierie Projects, FR
- CARE SENSE Consulting, Senden, DE
- Beemo, Münster, DE
- Heppe Medical Chitosan GmbH, Halle, DE
- Enantia SL, Barcelona, ES
- Perseus bvba, Zwijnaarde, BE
1 large company
- Geneart Life Technologies AG, Regensburg, DE
This project is funded by the 7th Framework Programme of the European Union.